This page is designed to provide BMCC staff with resources to improve communication and productivity. Information is available for the following technologies:
- Blackboard Collaborate
- Blackboard Instant Messaging (IM)
- Quality Matters (QM)
- Zoom Video Conferencing
Blackboard Collaborate is a web conferencing software used at BMCC to connect staff and students using voice, chat, webcam, whiteboard tools, and shared applications over the Internet. A new version called Ultra View is now available for staff use. BMCC will continue to have access to both versions during the 2015-2016 academic year, allowing users to pilot the new version.
With Ultra View:
- The new system has been redeveloped to be HTML 5 compliant and is no longer based on Java. It is based on Web RTC technology.
- Downloading the collaborate launcher is no longer required.
- There is a new modern interface. Much simpler to use in its redesign. Users must use Google Chrome for full functionality
- Introduction of new roles:
- Moderator – has full functionality and control over the web room
- Presenter – can present/deliver presentations and perform activities associated with that (e.g. whiteboard, share screen, share application)
- Student – normal role as per what’s available now, cannot deliver presentations but can interact with features made available in room.
Blackboard Instant Messaging (IM)
- Chat to communicate quickly and efficiently with your classmates
- Calls for more natural communication with one-on-one or group conversations
- Collaboration to share ideas with others
- Screen Sharing for real-time display of any document or application on your computer
- Whiteboard to harness the power of visual instruction
- Web Tour to share webpages
- Web Conferencing to use Blackboard Collaborate web conferencing for a full online classroom
- Office Hours to create a focused setting where classmates and contacts can line up for individual attention
- Help Desks for virtual assistance from the administrative services at your institution
- Broadcast Notifications for institution-wide alerts
There are also a few documents that may be helpful.
Quality Matters (QM)
The QM Rubric outlines course syllabus and learning management system requirements.
For more information about QM at BMCC, contact Sascha McKeon or Velda Arnaud, as they have both attended QM training courses.
Zoom is a cross-platform, video-conferencing that allows a host and participants to collaborate through audio and video. BMCC uses Zoom in classrooms and for meetings.
A ticket can have many request types as shown below. The location and room number help us know the location of the work to be done, and fill in as many details as you can.